Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Reading Aloud

I have always read books out loud to our children. It helped them learn how the story was supposed to sound and gave us great together time.
Our favorite boys books have been The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald, Eragon triligy by Christopher Paolini(who was also homeschooled), and A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson which has wonderful info about the Appalachian trail in the United States.
For the girls we also read The Great Brain series, Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery, Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.
We read several by Ralph Moody like Little Britches, Bible Stories and books by James Ralph Johnson who just happens to be my grandfather and the kids great grandfather. He wrote wonderful books about animals like Utah Lion and The Last Passenger.
The Bronze Bow and the Witch of BlackBird Pond both by Elizabeth George Speare were great reading.
My 6th grade teacher read The Bears of Blue River by Charles Major to us during school so this was a book I also read to the kids and was able to enjoy it all over again.
Reading together I think helped our kids to have a great love of reading. I also enjoyed it since most of these were favorites from my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment